Saturday, November 10, 2012

The miracle of the morning. . .

I, for one, am eternally grateful for electricity which gives power to my blow dryer, my flat iron and my curling iron.

I am eternally grateful to all the little bunnies, monkeys, and gerbils that endure hours, days, even weeks of lab tests just so that I can safely apply chemicals to my face everyday and products to my skin that highlight, brighten, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.

Every morning as I embark on Transformation Marsha - which, without the help of above mentioned items, would be entirely impossible, IMPOSSIBLE I TELL YOU! I say a little thank you for to all of them.

Just to prove my point I decided to snap a few photos this morning to document this transformation. I cringe when I think of sharing, but alas- do I really care?

I will say, after looking over these photos I would never, and I repeat, NEVER apply to be on Survivor nor any other reality show that has participants forgoing showers, grooming, blow dryers, flat irons, SOAP, make-up, tweezers or other hair removal friendly items because these things are my friends, mon amis, mis amigos!!

So, once I have showered all effort is put into blow-drying my naturally curly hair- this is a tedious process that requires a good 15 minutes and the result-- wait for it, wait for it. . . . .

BABAM!! Really people, it's quite frightening! If I were to go wake the kids up looking like this I am  absolutely, ab-so-freaking-lutley for  sure we would have an ambulance flying down our road, prepared to resuscitate 3 little chitlins- and quite possibly a husband!

A week ago at work we had spirit week- I was tempted to just blow and go on crazy hair day- but I wanted to maintain some sort of respect in my position so I decided it best to tame 'er down.

After the blow dryer is tucked away and the hot iron and curling iron are heated to a mere 425 searing  degrees and I've guzzled a full 8 ounces of coffee I can begin the real work- straightening this Afro!

I have, for the past 10 years used a pampered chef chip clip to section off my hair as I feverishly work away at bringing some sort of orderly conduct to what is taking place on top of my head. I love these chip clips! I would highly recommend them to anyone!


10 minutes later and some bit of resemblance to my daily look is forming:








Sometimes another cup of coffee is in order, or occasionally some burn relief gel as I quite frequently burn my neck,my hands, and  my forehead!

The next photo is my attempt at a morning smile- say cheese, your Afro is almost buh-bye (for today at least!)












When it's all said and done- a good hour has gone by, an hour that I will never get back- multiply that by 7 days a week that's 7 hours a week! Sheesh! However, the alternative being photo op 1- I guess that is 7 hours well spent, well spent in deed!



2 comments: