Thursday, November 22, 2012

Sisterhood of the Yoga pants. . . .


For the longest time now Abigayle and Amelia have been begging, pleading, and at some points downright demanding that I buy them yoga pants. Why, I ask, must you HAVE yoga pants???

Abigayle then shares-"Everybody at school wears them!"

"I doubt it Abigayle, yoga pants aren't dress code"

"NOOOOObody knows they're yoga pants, MOM!" - (Can you hear it? The tone of her voice?)

And so I was off to the store- Younkers to be exact, to find some yoga pants for the begging chitlins.

I  found, that no yoga pant comes with a plain waistband. The choices pretty much range from neon green leopard print to purple and white skull and crossbones. . . what a fantastic selection! I opted for the least obvious grey and black animal print waistband.

At the check out I sighed, as a pleasant, nearing retirement, lady began to ring up my purchases-

"Oh, yoga pants, I LOVE these!!!" she remarked

"Really? My daughters think they are going to get away with wearing these to school as uniforms."

"Well why not?? For the most part they look like black slacks- all you have to do is pull the waistband up-"

And then it happened, this complete stranger, who I thought was wearing black dress pants, stepped to the side so I could see her full length, lifted up her sweater to reveal not 1 inch, not 2 inches, not 3 inches. . . but a good 8 inches of waistband that covered the length of her torso- right up to her bra- in the hottest pink, yellow and green polka dotted material  I had ever seen. And then she whispered "THEY never know. . . " as her eyes shifted to the ceiling with a head nod and a wink. And then briskly yanked her sweater back down.

I am to assume the "THEY" she was referring to was some sort of big brother in the sky, management, who enforced dress code rules and this defiant employee was getting away with YOGA PANTS! Imagine!!!!

So, feeling a little awkward I took my purchases said "thank you for that" and quickly excited Younkers, not to return anytime soon.

Abigayle and Amelia were absolutely thrilled with their new pants- they've wore them twice this past week and there were only 3 days of school- Amelia was a little more proud of her decorative waistband and did not try to conceal it's existence- Abigayle on the other hand tucked it down in.

No comments:

Post a Comment