Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My amazing Amelia


There are days when something truly amazing  happens and I realize that I am not completely failing at this thing called PARENTING.

I believe my feelings of failure sprout from some evenings at home  when I feel like a broken record "Abigayle, Amelia, Annabella, please stop. . . .don't touch each other. . . no you can't call your sister a penis,  . . . . .blah,blah,blah. . . ."

Annabella can cry non-stop and no matter what I do I can't console her , Amelia can tear through a room leaving a tasmania devil like aftermath and refuse to help clean, Abigayle can rival the greatest debater alive without backing down and so I wonder. . . .am I being the mother I am suppose to be?

Well,this past Sunday we were out to eat and as we were finishing up Amelia, my little hoarder, asked if she could take the kids menu home- A food smudged piece of laminated paper with all the food choices available- corn dog, $1.99, macaroni and cheese, $2.99, chicken nuggets, $3.99. .. . .- I told her she could take it but she would have to stick it in the activity page they gave her so they wouldn't see her take it-

And then it happened, my little Amelia grabbed my arm and pulled me closer and whispered in my ear "Isn't that stealing mommy?"- My heart stopped- I could not believe what had just happened! I was telling my child to steal, and not just steal, but to HIDE it!!! What kind of mother am I???? In my mind I was letting her take something that I perceived as a cheap piece of paper that she could take home and play restaurant with- one of her favorite things to do.

I almost burst into tears, I looked right in her eyes and said "You are so right Amelia, Mommy is very sorry for saying that, Thank you for being so honest. . .let's put it back on the table" and she did with a very big SMILE.

I know that I have taught the girls all ten commandments, we talk about what is right and what is wrong, and consequences. . .I now know that they listen and as a parent I have to make sure I am not saying one thing and telling them to do another. .. . so thank you, my little Ameila Bedelia, I love you to the moon and back!




No comments:

Post a Comment